I’m not quite sure how its mid-way through March (and the shops have started selling their summer holiday bikini’s already!) but we now have a water-tight extension. Even stranger the builders are starting to talk about when they leave the site and the dawning reality that its soon going to be over to us (me and my husband) to finish the majority.
Scaffold now envelopes the top of the house so that the roof work can take place and we’ve got tradesmen working in the house on every weekend, so what’s happening / happened so far in March?
In no particular order (the following are either complete or will be complete by the end of March):
– Oak flooring has been ordered, 2-3 week lead time. We’ve gone for herringbone flooring and need to allow time for this to acclimatise once it gets on site.
– The new extension and utility area is now fully plaster boarded out (utility with insulated board).
– Ceiling’s in the extension and utility room have had sound insulation fitted, they’ve also been plaster boarded and plastered
– The play room (which we’d been using as our dining room before we moved out), the hallway and the adult living room have all had the wall paper removed.
– Downstairs toilet wallpaper has been stripped and the old toilet and sink removed.
– The extension flooring is down. We’ve gone for fixed beam and board so no drying required before oak flooring is laid.
– Electrics starting to 2nd fix.
– Continuation of heating install.
– Windows will begin to go in the last week of March – this is going to visually make a massive difference and is something we’re very excited about.
– We expect the roof work to be fully finished (depending on weather conditions).
– We’ll be able to start painting (initial mist coat) late March/early April in extension provided the plaster is dry. The house isn’t heated, so this is taking longer than normal.
– We’ll be able to measure up for brick slips and have these on order. We need to have the brick slips fitted and the flooring down before the kitchen can be fitted in May
March was a busy month and its been a real transformation on site. With the builders getting ready to move on, the last few weeks of March and early April are going to be really exciting with the lantern’s due to be placed in the extension, the porch due to be built, the extension will be rendered and the scaffolding due to come down. Can’t wait to share more then!
If you have any questions about the project please do comment below, happy to share any advice or expertise along the way. Thanks for following along with our renovation.